martes, 13 de noviembre de 2012

ROCINANTES


I have just found in a folder a “Rocinante” card and it has remind me Paula, a young teacher who I met in the practice period last school-year. She taught Spanish Language, English Culture and Arts and Crafts in 5th year of Primary Education. I was lucky to see some of her sessions, to work with her making some tasks and to learn from her methodology.

This is a TRULY WONDERFUL
HORSE...
What I really like of Paula is how she behaves towards the students. She doesn’t mind to spend some time of her sessions to solve possible problems that pupils might have in or out of the classroom. Furthermore, she is a positive person full of energy and that motivates the students. When they are checking activities or reading aloud, Paula almost sings their names changing continuously the person who is talking, so students must pay attention and not get distracted. She also loves introducing different topics in a “non-usual way”, for instance, explaining Easter playing common Easter English games.

The best think of Paula’s sessions is that students feel comfortable in them and, in general, they do their best in every task. They also talk to her about their feelings and problems in her sessions, in other subjects and in their personal life and, of course, Paula does everything she can to help them.

Returning to the beginning, I want to explain one special “trick” of her methodology, her system of positive points. She prints many pictures of one literary character which is different each trimester. When I was at school the character was Rocinante. She cuts the pictures and gives one to the student who shares to the rest of the class something relevant or curious, for example the name of people born in Calatayud (bilbilitanos). So, students can collect a lot of “Rocinantes” and they can redeem each one for 0.1 points in different tasks.
I think that giving these cards is a good way to reward students’ effort and participation, to “invite” them to search information and share it with their classmates and also to use them as a part of the continuous evaluation during the trimester. But, in my opinion, the cards could be redeemed for something different instead of 0.1 points, what do you think? Do you have any suggestion?

(Cristina Lázaro)

4 comentarios:

  1. So... let me check if I´ve understood well. Teacher prints some cards of a character (Rocinante in this case), and she gives one picture to the pupil who says something relevant or curious to the rest of the class?? And then at the end of the trimester pupils can get o.1 points extra per picture in the final mark??

    I think is a good way to encourage pupil´s participation and motivation, but maybe this works only with pupils who are worried about their marks. There would be others who would thinK "I do not really mind the mark I´d get at the end of the term" (it even doesn´t matter if it´s a 1st year pupil or a 6th one).

    Instead of points (that eventually pupils maybe would fine boring, above all for young pupils who don´t appreciate prices received in a future time) I would give sweets (checking first before if all my pupils can take sweets and candies as maybe there are some pupils allergics to some compounds as gluten)or other IMMEDIATE PRICES.

    One difficulty I´ve just realised about this trick is this situation:

    In all classes there are always some pupils who want to be the "clowns" of the class; this means, as they do not overhang as good students they try to make friends by playing the clown, or just because they are simply lazy.
    So, imagine that in one of these opportunities one of these pupils says something "funny" (stupid). What would you do as teacher?? Say to him "Shut up" or "dont say silly things". Maybe this is what a teacher in first instance would say (withouth having tought about it before)so it is a wrong idea.
    But on the other hand you can say: "well done" "thank you for your participation" and all children, as they are not silly, they would say to themselves "OOOhhh, I am going to say an stupid thing too". And I can assure this because last year I was in a 2nd year Primary class and I saw these attitudes hundreds of times.

    So, I would sum up saying that of course is a way to encourage participation above children, but with a strict and carefull care.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I don´t really agree with her, as I think that you don´t do either. In my opinion her methodology is new, original and very motivating for children, I like the idea of giving children a "Rocinante" or whatever depending on the theme that they are studying.

    Maybe those Rocinants could be used in a different way, for example:
    - During the whole week, students would be receiving, getting, or wining "rocinants" along the sessions because of their good behaviour, participation etc. They could keep them and at the end of the week or after fourteen days, students should count their "rocinants" and the three of them who had got more would get some priviledges. Those could be: water the plants the next week, hand out the notebooks...something related with being the responsibles of the class.
    - Another idea which comes to my mind is that depending on the number of rocinants the students get, they would have to line up depending on their position. I mean, if I have got more than anybody, I would be the first in line to go out at the end of the class or to go to the playground. That would help her to keep the order in class.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I only find one negative aspect regarding the 'system of positive points': Students only do things, "because they're going to win something". So, in a way, we are encouraging them to do things 'only' for the reward.

    In some schools in England, they use a similar 'system points', but in a "group way". That means that if you win a point (for whatever reason), that point goes to your team. They use around four big teams (for all the school, like in Harry Potter), but it could be also possible to make group within the class.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Cristina Lázaro Gómez15 de noviembre de 2012, 9:54

    Victor, you are right, Paula’s idea is to give a Rocinante card each time students participate in class and share with their classmates information that they consider interesting or relevant. At the end of the trimester they can redeem the cards for 0.1 points for the final mark. I think it is a good idea to give cards to the students but I don’t really like the last part of it. I agree with you when you say that they may not or they should not be worried about the mark so I think this can be changed and I ask you about suggestions.
    Of course if one student says something like swear words he/she is not going to get a Rocinante at all because this is something not to be rewarded. I think immediately prices such as candies can work but it might be possible that the teacher also makes a Rocinante card an immediately price...


    Julia, I do agree with Paula’s methodology but I consider it can be improved, as everything can be improved. I think it is a good idea to redeem Rocinante cards for being responsible of some actions of the class. It is a way to highlight the value of responsibility and students, specially the little ones, love to do it.


    Elena, it is possible that students start to search interesting information because they want the Rocinante card, the positive point or whatever, but I think that this can make them to continue with the routine of searching and learning new information when they grow up, or maybe not, I don’t know. On the other hand, I haven’t heard anything about the system of positive points for groups of students. I consider this is good way to reward participation in class and also to be cooperative trying to get something not for one single person but for all the group.


    Thanks for making all these suggestions :)

    ResponderEliminar